Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Never Scrimp on Good Shoes, Good Mattresses or GOOD FOOD!

Growing up in an Italian American home, my Dad believed that you never scrimped on good shoes, good mattresses or good food. Our principles were based upon family and tradition. My parents are 2nd generation Italians, hard working, and middle class people with 5 children to support. Family meals were central to our lives and one of the many ways our parents loved us was through good food.

Sunday mornings, we would wake up to the sounds of Tony Bennett, Perry Como and Frank Sinatra crooning on the radio. My younger sister and I would descend the stairs and find my parents dancing in the kitchen while putting up the Sunday sauce. After church, we‘d play in the neighborhood within hearing distance of my father's whistle, dinner was always at three o'clock sharp! We had better come running when dinner was served or else! At our house everything was homemade and meals were loud and raucous with lively discussions of all things that are taboo for polite conversation: politics, religion and sometimes the gossip about the lady down the street. Family meals were also a time of gathering and catching up with one another and often for settling family disputes.

I grew up learning how to cook standing next to my Mom and Dad in the kitchen. My Dad was a trained Chef, a career Navy man and Chief Petty Officer. My Mom was a traditional cook learning from her Mother and Aunts and Father and Uncles using traditional Italian techniques. Dad measured and timed all his dishes, but not Mom! Dumping a bag of flour on the counter, making a well and kneading in some eggs, milk and flavorings to make cookies was my Mom's idea of a good time in the kitchen! Making a pizza dough, rolling in some sausage crumbles, Parmesano Reggiano and caramelized onions to make her now famous sausage bread is a regular pastime for my Mom. At 80 years young, this is still my Mom's idea of a good time. Cookies for everyone at Christmas and Easter! The postal workers know her personally!

So, when I came to work at The Mercantile and began ordering the product inventory, of course I gravitated towards the Italian products. Good pasta, like our Hand cut Riscossa Orecchiette, wonderful canned San Marzano Tomatoes to start your sauce and of course regional Italian extra virgin Olive Oils were a must have for me to have on our shelves. Dressing a salad of bitter greens with Goccee di Coros Olive Oil from Sardinia is like going home for Sunday dinner (growing up, we had salad at every meal).

This week I invite you to taste a little bit of my family traditions. Stop in to The Mercantile and try some of our fine Italian products. Enjoy some of Chef Samantha's Italian dinners, like Three Cheese Ravioli with Arrabbiata Sauce or Orecchiette with Sausage and Rapini.

And remember put the up sauce early, cook it slowly to bring out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes and bring your family to the table with love.

Ciao!
Gloria Limanni

No comments: